Moroccan Lupin salad with Roast Pumpkin, Feta and Beetroot
Prep time 30 mins. Serves 10 as a side dish
- Roast Pumpkin ½ small butternut pumpkin – cubed
- 4 tbsp lupin flake for roast pumpkin
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey, maple or golden syrup
- NB see our Roast Pumpkin with Crunchy Lupin recipe for instructions
- 170ml extra virgin olive oil
- 60ml red wine vinegar
- 1 ½ tsp mustard powder
- 1 ½ tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp sugar
Salad Base Ingredients
- 150g lupin flake
- 60g capers
- 85g currants
- 100g feta
- 4 handfuls of baby spinach
- 4 small beetroots quatered
- small red onion sliced into thin slivers, chopped parsley and pomegranate seeds to garnish
- salt & pepper
- Place 150g of lupin flake into a small saucepan and add about 1 litre of cold water. Bring to boil, reduce heat slightly so lupin flake doesn’t boil over, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Drain flake into a fine mesh sieve, rinse with cold water and drain again. When cool enough to handle, wrap in a clean cloth and squeeze out excess moisture. Place cooked flake in a large deep baking dish and spread out with a fork to cool down quickly.
- While lupin flake is cooling, put dressing ingredients into a large shallow bowl, whisk until mixed. Pour ¾ of the dressing on the cooling lupin, as well as adding the capers, currants and onions at this point and mix through the cooked lupin. Allow this to cool to room temperature.
- On a shallow serving platter, layer spinach leaves, pumpkin cubes, spiced lupin flake, feta and quartered beetroot and dress with reaming ¼ of the dressing.
- Garnish with extra slivers of red onion and chopped parsley and pomegranate. Season with salt and pepper to taste.