Lupin, Cherry-Lime BITES
- 120g Lupin flakes
- 120g Almond meal
- 2 Egg yolks
- 2 Egg whites
- 80g Caster sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla essence
- 2 Limes: zest and juice
- 80g Dry sour cherries*, coarsely chopped
- 80g Icing sugar (sieved and optional)
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Mix together the almond meal, lupin Flake, salt, lime zest and dry cherries
- Add vanilla essence, lime juice and egg yolks and mix to combine.
- Place egg whites in a bowl, whisk until they are foamy, add the sugar and whisk until egg whites are shiny and form stiff peaks.
- Fold the whisked egg whites gently into the almond and lupin flake mixture.
- Roll the cookie mixture into balls 3cm in diameter (30g).
- Place balls, 3cm apart, on a tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake at 180°C for 10 – 15 minutes. The cookies will form a crust; the centre should still be moist.
- Cool on a rack, while your cookies are cooling you may choose to sprinkle them with icing sugar
Note : *A mix of dried apricots and cranberries works equally well